The IRP is an international highway program designed for the licensing of heavy (>26,000 pounds) commercial vehicles that travel in two or more jurisdictions. A jurisdiction may be a state, the District of Columbia, or a Canadian province. Vehicles licensed under the IRP are called apportioned vehicles.
Under the IRP, an interstate carrier files an application for registration with the jurisdiction in which its vehicles are based. That jurisdiction is known as the "base jurisdiction." The District is the base jurisdiction for heavy vehicles registered or apportioned in the District of Columbia. The base jurisdiction collects registration fees authorizing a carrier's movement into other jurisdictions, and distributes those fees to the states or provinces for which the carrier has requested apportionment.
To apply for IRP registration, print and complete the form at the link below, then bring it to the DC DMV at the Southwest Service Center, 95 M Street, SW, Washington, DC 20024. It is important to complete the form fully; any missing information will delay the processing of the application. The form is available at the link below:
You will also be required to pay a fee for IRP registration; the precise fee can be calculated only after the application is processed. More information is available below under IRP Apportioned Fee Calculations.
IRP registration does not:
- Exempt a carrier from the payment of motor fuel taxes
- Exempt a carrier from obtaining operating authority
- Exempt a carrier from payment of the Federal Heavy Vehicle Use Tax (HVUT) (Form 2290). Review the Federal Highway Administration’s brochure [PDF] related to HVUT
Internal Revenue Service (IRS) Information for completing HVUT Form 2290 is available from the IRS at: IRS Information on the HVUT.
- Exempt a carrier from Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) Performance Registration Information Systems Management (PRISM) program requirements.
- Permit a carrier to exceed maximum height, length, width, and axle limitations*
- Permit a carrier to exceed “bridge laws”*
*Note: Permits to allow over-weight, over-length, and/or over-width vehicles to travel into and through the District (including over bridges) are available through the DC Department of Transportation (DDOT) at 1100 4th Street, SW. For a Public Space Permit, customers must register online at DDOT or call (202) 442-4670.
The District of Columbia, like all member IRP jurisdictions, is required to comply with the following criteria of the IRP:
- Issue a single “apportioned” tag
- Issue a single registration cab card
- Allow intrastate and interstate movement
More information on IRP is available at the links below:
IRP Apportioned and Exempt Vehicles
IRP Apportioned Fee Calculations
IRP Audits, Mileage Records, and Enforcement
IRP Carriers Manual
Fee Schedule for Commercial Vehicles
The IRP Full Reciprocity Plan