Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.


Department of Motor Vehicles

DC Agency Top Menu

-A +A
Bookmark and Share

Contest Parking and Photo Enforcement Tickets

If you want to contest a ticket, do not pay the fine and/or penalty. You cannot contest a ticket once you have paid the fine and/or penalty nor can you request a refund

Here's more information to understanding the ticket timeline, your options, and what to do first.

What Happens When You Contest a Ticket

  • Please submit your statement, defense to the ticket, and your evidence for the defense that you want the hearing examiner to consider.
  • See legal defenses to parking tickets
  • See legal defenses to photo tickets
  • A DC DMV hearing examiner will read the information you submit to adjudicate the ticket and will:
  • Make a decision on whether you must pay the fine and any penalty, or
  • Decide to reduce or dismiss the ticket based on DC Code and traffic regulations
  • The hearing examiner will mail the decision to the vehicle owner’s address of record with the DMV notifying the owner of the decision.

Contest Tickets by Mail

When DC DMV receives your request to contest a ticket by mail, DC DMV will send you a postcard that indicates we have received your request. To avoid additional penalties, DC DMV must receive your request within 30 calendar days. If you don’t receive this postcard, you may contact DC DMV or call DC 311 to ask that they confirm our receipt of your adjudication request.

Mail your statement or the adjudication form to: 

DMV Adjudication Services
ATTN: Mail Adjudication
PO Box 37135
Washington, DC 20013

[back to top]

Contest Parking and Photo Tickets In-Person

To contest a parking or photo ticket in-person, you must visit the Adjudication Service Center for a walk-in hearing. 

To contest a ticket, you must be the registered owner of the vehicle and present the vehicle registration or the owner must authorize someone to act on his or her behalf by completing and signing the power of attorney form.

If you contest a ticket issued to a rental car, you must provide the rental agreement for the vehicle showing the rental period matching the date of issuance for the ticket.

Find more information on the Adjudication Service Center, please visit our website.

Frequently Asked Questions

For questions related to ticket services, please visit the ticket services FAQs webpage.

[back to top]

Contact TTY: