Department of Motor Vehicles

DC Agency Top Menu

All Service Centers, Adjudication, and Deanwood CDL are by "Appointment Only." DMV has extended the expiration date for DLs, IDs, vehicle registrations, inspections, ticket payments and ticket adjudication responses expiring Mar 1, 2020 -May 20, 2021 until 45 days after the health emergency ends.

-A +A
Bookmark and Share

CDL Road Skills Test Waiver for Military Personnel

If you are an active duty service member who is currently licensed and who is or was employed within the last 90 calendar days in a military position requiring the operation of a military motor vehicle equivalent to a CMV, you do not have to take the road skills tests to obtain a Class A or B DC DMV CDL. You do have to take and pass all knowledge tests.

If you want School Bus (S) and Passenger (P) endorsements, you must be prepared to pass all requirements for air brakes as well—which means you must take both the air brakes knowledge test and the air brakes portion of the road skills test.

To get a DC DMV CDL using the road skills test waiver for military personnel, you must follow all the requirements and steps for obtaining a CDL, including eligibility, documentation, testing, and payment of fees, all of which are explained on the pages listed below:

CDL Eligibility and Documentation

CDL Knowledge Tests

CDL Learner Permits

CDL Road Skills Tests

CMV Group and CDL Class and Endorsements

In addition, you must meet the following specific requirements to use the military personnel waiver:

  • You must be at least 21 years old and have a valid DC NCDL.
  • You must be a US citizen or non-US citizen with a valid Permanent Resident Card (You must provide proof of US citizenship or lawful permanent residency.  If you do not have proof of lawful permanent residency, but you are legally in the US under a program approved by the US Citizenship and Immigration Services [USCIS], then in accordance with federal law, DC DMV will issue you a CDL that is marked as non-domiciled. You must provide proof of your legal USCIS status.) 
  • You must have 2 years of commercial vehicle driving experience while in the military.
  • You must have a minimum of 2 years of good driving history on your driver record during the 2-year period immediately preceding your CDL application date.
  • You must have your Commanding Officer certify your years of operating the vehicle, as well as the type of vehicle operated, to determine appropriate CDL classification.
  • You must provide active military orders or US Department of Defense Form DD214
  • You must provide the Military Skills Test Waiver form, available at the link below:
  • Application for Military Skills Test Waiver
Contact TTY: