Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.


Department of Motor Vehicles

DC Agency Top Menu

-A +A
Bookmark and Share

Convert a CDL from Another State

Important CDL Updates

Entry-Level Driver Training Requirement (February 7, 2022)

Beginning February 7, 2022, entry-level drivers will be subject to the requirements in the Entry-Level Driver Training (ELDT) regulations. This includes drivers applying to:

  • Obtain a Class A or Class B CDL for the first time;
  • Upgrade an existing Class B CDL to a Class A CDL; or
  • Obtain a school bus (S), passenger (P), or hazardous materials (H) endorsement for the first time.

The ELDT regulations establish a Federal standard for training CDL applicants. Applicants must successfully complete this training before they will be permitted to take the CDL skills test or, in the case of the H endorsement, the knowledge test. Drivers will search for a training provider using the upcoming Training Provider Registry. For more information, please visit the Entry-Level Driver Training (ELDT) webpage.

Human Trafficking Awareness Training Requirement (July 12, 2021)

Effective July 12, 2021 District law (DCMR Title 18, Section 1303) will require all new drivers seeking a Commercial Learner Permit (CLP) and those looking to convert an out-of-state Commercial Driver License (CDL), to complete mandatory Human Trafficking Awareness training before being issued a CLP or converting an out-of-state CDL.

The training involves watching a brief educational film and takes about 15 minutes to complete. The required training can be completed online, and a printed certificate of completion will be issued upon successful completion of the online training.

If you have a CDL from another state or jurisdiction, you must convert it to a DC DMV CDL if you remain in the District for more than 30 days.

To convert your out-of-state CDL, you must meet the requirements and follow the steps listed below. You must visit the Deanwood Commercial Driver License Center to convert your CDL in person. Information on the Deanwood Center is available at the link below:


  • You must be a resident of the District.
  • You must be a US citizen or non-US Citizen with a valid Permanent Resident Card.  

Note: If you do not have proof of lawful permanent residency, but you are legally in the US under a program approved by the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), then in accordance with federal law, DC DMV will issue you a CDL that is marked as non-domiciled. You must provide proof of your USCIS status.


  • Complete the CDL Driver License Application available at the link below:
  • CDL Driver License Application
  • Provide the required original documents, listed above. DC DMV cannot accept photocopies or scanned documents.
  • Take and pass the vision test.
  • Take a photograph (DC law and policy requires a full frontal digital photo that shows either your ears or up to your hairline without exposing the hair).
  • Pay the appropriate fees. Information on DC DMV fees is available at the link below:
  • DC DMV Fees
  • Surrender your out of state CDL to DC DMV

When you complete the steps, you will receive a 45-day temporary paper CDL, and your permanent license will be mailed to your address of record.

Contact TTY: