DC DMV’s Document Verification Guide will assist you with determining which documents you will need to collect and bring to the DC DMV service center for any of your transactions. If you do not bring the correct documents, then you may need to make multiple trips to the service center. We encourage you to use this guide for the following transactions:
- Driver license
- Identification card (non-driver)
- Vehicle title and registration
- Vehicle title only
- Temporary vehicle tags
You will need to provide original documents. Photocopies, altered documents, or notarized copies will not be accepted, unless we specifically indicate they are acceptable.
This online Document Verification Guide will take you through the process of each of these transactions.
To apply for a driver license or non-driver identification card, you must prove the following:
- Identity and date of birth
- Social Security number (SSN), or proof that you are not eligible to obtain an SSN
- DC residency
- Ability to drive (when applying for driver license)
- Name change (if applicable)
To apply for vehicle title and registration, you must prove the following:
- Vehicle ownership
- District residency (DC DMV credential)
- Odometer mileage
- DC vehicle insurance
- DC vehicle inspection
- Financial agreement or contract
We want to make your experience at DC DMV positive and seamless, and your preparation will aid us in accomplishing this goal.
The online Document Verification Guide is available at the link below: