Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.


Department of Motor Vehicles

DC Agency Top Menu

-DC DMV will no longer prevent DC residents from applying for a new or renewed driver license because of failing to meet the requirements of the Clean Hands Law.

-A +A
Bookmark and Share

How to File an Appeal

How to File an Appeal Options

Decision(s) That Can Be Appealed

Here's more information to understanding the ticket timeline to determine if you qualify for an appeal. 

By law, you may appeal two types of ticket decisions: 

  1. Denial of a Request for Reconsideration
  2. Denial of a Motion to Vacate

When to File an Appeal

Your appeal must be received by DC DMV within 30 calendar days from the date of the denial of your Request for Reconsideration or Motion to Vacate.

How to File an Appeal

ATTN: Appeals Office
PO Box 77411
Washington, DC 20013

You must also pay the following:

  • Pay the amount due on the ticket (fine and any penalty).
  • Pay the $10 appeals fee.
  • Pay the $50 transcript deposit fee, if applicable up to 10 pages.
  • A transcript deposit fee is required for minor moving violations, however; if the decision on your minor moving violation was based on mail or an online adjudication request, no transcript deposit fee is required.
  • If the transcription exceeds more than 10 pages, additional fees will be applied at $5 per additional page. You will receive a letter from DC DMV notifying you of any additional transcript costs. Failure to pay this additional fee, will result in your appeal not being sent to the board.

In person appearances before the appeals board are not permitted. You also cannot submit any additional evidence to the appeals board.

[back to top]

If You Win Your Case on Appeal

If the Appeals Board reverses the hearing examiner’s decision, then all fines, penalties, and fees will be refunded to you by mail.

If You Lose Your Case on Appeal

If the Appeals Board upholds the hearing examiners decision and you want to appeal the Appeals Board’s decision, then you may.

Within 30 calendar days of the Appeals Board’s decision, you can file an application for an appeal in the Superior Court of the District of Columbia. Submit the appeals form to the Office of the Civil Clerk.

[back to top]

Contact TTY: