Department of Motor Vehicles

DC Agency Top Menu

Virtual Hearings for Minor Moving Violations, Reinstatement, and Show Cause
DC DMV’s online appointment scheduler will be temporarily down for emergency maintenance beginning at 11:30 am on Tuesday’s. Service will be restored by 12 pm.
All Service Centers, Adjudication Services, and the Brentwood CDL Office are operating on an "Appointment Only" basis.

-A +A
Bookmark and Share

Chartered Buses

The District of Columbia law requires a bus from any US state or Canadian province used for travel of a chartered party with a seating capacity of greater than fifteen (15) passengers to obtain one of the following:

Vehicle owners must be in compliance with the chartered bus law prior to entering the District of Columbia. The chartered bus law became effective on March 14, 2007.

*Additionally, Trip Permits are issued in lieu of apportioned or full registration in accordance with the International Registration Plan, Article V, Section 525.

Motor Carriers and Buses Transporting Students

A motor carrier or bus that is owned by a governmental entity or registered as a government vehicle is exempt from IRP regulations. Those vehicles are not required to carry a trip permit. Displaying a federal or state government license plate on the truck, van, or bus is one way to show the vehicle meets this exemption. Note that vehicles, including school buses, contracted by the government are not exempt from IRP and must obtain a trip permit if not apportioned. However, vehicles, including school buses, leased long-term by the government with the option to purchase are exempt and do not have to obtain a trip permit.

For more information on registering a bus in the IRP program, please contact your state Department of Motor Vehicles. Here is a list of offices provided by the International Registration Plan, Inc.

Get more information regarding Tour Bus Parking from the goDCgo website.

Engine Idling Law: Help keep the District's air clean and avoid fines!

Contact TTY: