- When registering a vehicle, the name of individual registering the vehicle, must be listed on the title. In the case of a Certificate of Origin (CO) or Title, the CO/Title must be signed over to the owners before titling and registration can be accomplished. If there are multiple owners of the vehicle, all owners must be listed on the CO/Title, Bill of Sale, and any lien/lease paperwork.
- In order to title and register a vehicle, all outstanding tickets, dishonored check fees, delinquent child support payments, or any other debt owed to the District of Columbia Government must be satisfied.
- If a vehicle is being registered or leased in the name of a District of Columbia based business, copies of the DC Department of Consumer and Regulatory Affairs (DCRA) Business License and DC Certificate of Occupancy must be submitted along with the registration application and other required documents.
- If a leased vehicle is being titled in the name of an out-of-state based business as a lessor, a copy of the business license where the lessor is domiciled must be submitted along with the registration application and other required documents.
- If a leased vehicle is being registered in the name of an out-of-state based business as a lessee, a copy of the business license where the lessee is domiciled must be submitted along with the registration application and other required documents. A reciprocity letter for a take home vehicle is also needed on the organization’s letterhead. This letter must list the DC driver as an employee or individual designated to use the vehicle as a take home vehicle. The driver must have a valid DC driver license.
- Title Application (complete with appropriate signatures)
- Certificate of Origin (CO) or Title
- Title Reassignment Form (if applicable)
- Bill of Sale
- Lien-holder Financial Contract (if applicable)
- Proof of Insurance
- DC DMV Vehicle Inspection Certificate (if applicable)
- Lease Contract (if applicable) – both lessor and lessee must provide proof of identification (see below)
- Dealer Salesman License for DC dealer only
- Proof of Identification - copy of owner(s) or DC driver license or non-driver identification card. If owner is a business, the following documents are required: copies of the DC DCRA Business License and the DC Certificate of Occupancy. Please note: If the DC business is leasing the premises, it must present copies of the DC DCRA Business License, the landlord's DC Certificate of Occupancy, and the executed lease agreement between the business and its landlord.
- Printout of online excise tax calculation (if applicable)
- Check or Money Order made payable to DC Treasurer
- Letter of Authorization for take home vehicle on organization letter-head (if applicable)
- Copy of take-home driver DC Driver License or ID (if applicable)
Please see the fee chart below for applicable vehicle registration and title transaction fees.
- Excise Tax Fee calculations are based on the Fair Market Value (FMV) of the vehicle, as indicated in the current National Automobile Dealers Association (NADA) Business Guide for the Eastern Region. You can obtain an estimate of the excise tax by using the DC DMV Online Excise tax Calculator Tool. Once completed, please print and submit a copy of the calculation with your application. If the NADA guide does not provide the Fair Market Value for a particular vehicle, the applicable bill of sale shall be used.
- Reciprocity Fee payments should be submitted via separate check or money order.
|Dealer / Transfer Tag Fee (per tag)||$75.00|
|Replacement Dealer Tags||$10.00|
|Dealership Registration / Registration Renewal Annual basis||$100.00|
|Dealer Proof of Ownership||No Fee|
|Duplicate Dealer Proof of Ownership||No Fee|
|Temporary Registration Certificates||No Fee|
|Special Use Certificates||No Fee|
|Duplicate Dealer Tag Registration Sticker||No Fee|
|Multi-Owner Fleet Program||Fee|
|Annual Fee (per tag)||$10.00/year|
|Taxi / Limo Fees||Fee|
|Out of State Registration Taxi/Limo Fee
(for non-DC residents)
|Interjurisdictional Limo DCTC||$400.00/year|
|Duplicate Interjurisdictional Limo DCTC||$100.00|
|Digital Certificate Annual Fee||$100.00|
|Digital Certificate Annual Renewal Fee||$100.00|
Payment and Credit Cards
- DMV accepts payments in the form of cash, check, money order, or credit card.
- DC Government accepts VISA and MasterCard credit cards. DC Government does not accept American Express and Discover credit cards.
- All outstanding debts (child support payments, outstanding tickets, and dishonored checks) to the DC Government must be satisfied before completing most of your DMV transactions.
Information on the excise tax for DC titles can be found at DC Official Code § 50-2201.03. Many vehicles are exempt from DC excise tax. Review our excise tax exemption chart [PDF]. Rates are applied to the fair market value (as defined by the current National Automobile Dealers Association (NADA) Business Guide for the Eastern Region) of the vehicle at the time of application (reference 18 DCMR §401.16).
Please email DC DMV at [email protected] if you have any questions.