When registering a vehicle, the Manufacturer Certificate of Origin (MCO) or Title must be properly executed.
- If there are multiple owners of the vehicle, all owners must be listed on the MCO/Title, Bill of Sale and any lien/lease paperwork.
In order to title and register a vehicle, all outstanding debts owed to the District of Columbia Government must be satisfied.
If a leased vehicle is being titled in the name of an out-of-state based business as a lessor, a copy of the business license where the lessor is domiciled must be submitted along with the registration application and other required documents.
- Certificate of Title/Temporary Tag Application (complete with appropriate signatures)
- Manufacturer Certificate of Origin (MCO) or Title
- Title Reassignment Form (if applicable)
- Vehicle Power of Attorney Application
- Odometer Mileage Verification
- Bill of Sale
- Lienholder Financial Contract (if applicable)
- Proof of valid DC Insurance
- DC DMV Vehicle Inspection Certificate (if applicable)
- Lease Contract (if applicable) – both lessor and lessee must provide proof of identification
- Proof of Identification - copy of owner(s) DC driver license or non-driver identification card.
- If owner is a business, the following documents are required:
- Copies of the DC Department of Licensing and Consumer Protection (DC DLCP) Business License and
- DC Deparment of Buildings (DC DOB) Certificate of Occupancy (note: if the DC business is leasing the premises, it must also present copies of the landlord's DC Certificate of Occupancy and the executed lease agreement between the business and its landlord.)
- Dealer Salesman License for DC dealer only
- Printout of online excise tax calculation or fee estimator
- Check or money order made payable to DC Treasurer
- Title and registration fees
Take Home Vehicles
Please visit this webpage for more information about reciprocity permits for take home vehicles.
For general questions, please contact DC DMV at [email protected].