DC DMV will replace your vehicle tags if they are lost or stolen or need to be replaced due to wear and tear. To obtain replacement tags, visit a DC DMV service location and present the following original documents and pay applicable fees.
- DC DMV vehicle registration card
- Valid DC DMV driver license, non-driver identification card, or learner permit.
If you do not own the vehicle, you must have a vehicle power of attorney form that says you are authorized to act on the owner’s behalf, as well as a copy of the vehicle owner’s driver license or permit along with your own. The Vehicle Power of Attorney form is available at the link below:
- Vehicle Power of Attorney Form
- Existing vehicle tags, if they are worn, or the remaining tag, if only one was stolen
- Metropolitan Police Department police report is required for the lost or stolen tags
Information on DC DMV fees is available at the link below:
NOTE: If you do not surrender your existing tags, you will be liable for any tickets issued to that tag number. If you receive tickets on a tag that is lost or stolen, you must provide the full police report (the CCN is not sufficient) to DC DMV Adjudication Services to contest the ticket.