You may request a duplicate DC title if your vehicle title is lost, stolen or the lien on the vehicle has been satisfied.
If there are no changes to your title, such as removing a lien or changing ownership, you may apply for a duplicate title online.
To mail your duplicate title request, submit the required documents and fee to:
PO Box 90120
Washington, DC 20090
The following documents must be submitted:
- Certificate of Title/Temporary Tag Application (must be signed by all owners)
- Valid photo identification of vehicle owner(s)
- A copy of your valid credential
- A fully executed Vehicle Power of Attorney Form if you are not the owner, but requesting the duplicate title for the owner.
- Vehicle information—at least one of the following items to identify your vehicle:
- Vehicle renewal notice
- Vehicle registration
- Vehicle identification number
- DC DMV title number
- Vehicle tag number
To obtain a duplicate title once a lien has been satisfied, you will have to submit or bring to a DC DMV service center the documents listed above and any one of the following documents:
- Letter of financing on company letterhead stating that the lien is satisfied
- Loan agreement stamped “paid” by the financial institution and certified by an appropriate party
- Title stamped with lien release from the financial institution
Dealers may request duplicate titles on behalf of customers by providing the following documentation and paying the appropriate fee, by mail:
- Certificate of Title/Temporary Tag Application
- A copy of the customer’s valid credential
- Vehicle Power of Attorney Form
All duplicate titles will be mailed to the primary owner within 10 business days of processing. Titles are not issued over the counter.