You must complete the 6-month DC residency certification and provide two of the documents listed below that are not from the same Business, Company, or Agency (in which the address matches EXACTLY on both documents) to satisfy proof of 6-month District residency. DC DMV will NOT accept documents that are not listed below to satisfy proof of District residency. The 6-month residency certification form is available at the link below:
Note: Source documents (two required) must be original and contain a valid DC address (PO boxes not acceptable). Computer printouts of online bills are considered original and must be printed and brought with you prior to visiting DC DMV.
- Utility bill (water, gas, electric, oil, or cable), with name and address, issued within the last 60 days (disconnect notices/bills are not accepted).
- Telephone bill (cell phone, wireless, or pager bills acceptable), reflecting applicant's name and current address, issued within the last 60 days (disconnect notices/bills are not accepted).
- Deed, mortgage, or settlement agreement reflecting applicant's name and property address.
- Unexpired lease or rental agreement with the name of the applicant listed as the lessee, permitted resident, or renter (may be a photocopy). The unexpired lease or rental agreement must be signed by all parties.
- Unexpired Sublease accompanied by the original unexpired Lease with the name of the certifier as sub-lessor.
- DC property tax bill or tax assessment issued within the last 12 months reflecting the applicant's name and property address.
- Unexpired homeowner's or renter’s insurance policy reflecting name and address.
- **Letter with picture from Court Services and Offender Supervision Agency (CSOSA) or DC Department of Corrections (DC DOC) certifying name and DC residency issued within the last 60 days.
- *DC DMV Proof of Residency Certification form signed within the last 60 days by the certifier residing at the residence and a copy of the certifier's unexpired DC Driver license or DC identification card and two proof of residency documents (one primary and one secondary) in the certifier's name, and proof of relationship document if certifying for a qualified family member.
- Official mail—received from any government agency (with full name and address) to include contents received within the last 60 days, excluding mail from DC DMV. DC DMV does not accept change of address forms from the United States Postal Service.
- **DC DMV-approved form from certified social service provider issued within the last 60 days.
- Car/personal loan statement (no coupon books/vouchers accepted) issued within the last 60 days reflecting name and address.
- Home security system bill issued within the last 60 days reflecting name and address.
- Letter on official letterhead issued by DC Universities and Colleges registrar’s office reflecting the customer’s name and certifying the customer’s on-campus address issued within the last 60 days.
*Does not require a second source of residency document.
**May only be used to obtain a DC DMV non-driver identification card and does not require a second source of residency document