Car dealerships in the District of Columbia must be registered in the District, and only dealerships in the District can obtain and maintain DC DMV Dealership Registrations. A DC DMV Dealership Registration is separate from a DC Department of Licensing and Consumer Protection (DLCP) basic business license. To renew your DC DMV Dealership Registration, you must obtain the following documents:
- Clean Hands Certifice, which is issued by the DC Office of Tax and Revenue. It must be an original. To obtain a Clean Hands Certificate, please click the link below:
- Basic Business License, which is issued by the DC Department of Consumer and Regulatory Affairs. It must be an original. To obtain a Basic Business License, please click the link below:
- A copy of your DC Department of Buildings (DOB) Certificate Occupancy Permit. To obtain a Certificate of Occupancy, please click the link below:
- Copy of the Federal Tax Identification form listing your company's Federal Tax ID number.
- Copy of the business owner's driver license or non-driver identification card.
- Each salesperson's valid DC Department of Consumer and Regulatory Affairs Salesman License.
- A copy of each salesperson's valid driver license or non-driver identification card.
- Poof of insurance coverage, including the number of approved dealer tags. The insurance must cover the dealership for the year continuously.
- Proof of continuous insurance coverage for the prior year.
After obtaining the required documents, you must complete the online application. You may do so by clicking the link below:
Once you submit the online application, print the pdf version of it and have it notarized. Please retain the notarized application with your original documents.
DC DMV will notify you via email of the date and time of your appointment to renew your dealership registration. Be sure to bring in all of the required documents, including the notarized application and the appropriate fees. Information on dealership registration renewal fees is available at the link below:
Note: If you were previously issued Dealer Tags, you are required to turn them in. DC DMV will not issue new dealer tags until all of the previous dealer tags are accounted for. Additionally, police reports must be submitted to explain missing dealer tags.
If you have any questions, please email DC DMV at [email protected].