If a reciprocity permit is renewable, it can be renewed online. To renew your reciprocity, you must provide 1 of the documents listed below in each category. DC DMV will NOT accept documents that are not listed below. The documents you provide must be original and have a valid District address. PO boxes are not acceptable. The online renewal system is available at the link below:
You will need:
Proof of Eligibility
Reciprocity eligibility proof is determined as indicated on the link below:
Proof of Current District of Columbia Residency
- Utility bill (water, gas, electric, oil, or cable), with name and address, issued within the last 60 days (disconnect notices/bills are not accepted).
- Telephone bill (cell phone, wireless, or pager bills acceptable), reflecting applicant's name and current address, issued within the last 60 days (disconnect notices/bills are not accepted).
- Deed, mortgage, or settlement agreement reflecting applicant's name and property address issued within the last 60 days.
- Unexpired lease or rental agreement with the name of the applicant listed as the lessee, permitted resident, or renter (may be a photocopy). The unexpired lease or rental agreement must be signed by all parties.
- Unexpired Sublease accompanied by the original unexpired Lease with the name of the certifier as sub-lessor.
- DC property tax bill or tax assessment issued within the last 12 months reflecting the applicant's name and property address.
- Unexpired homeowner's or renter’s insurance policy reflecting name and address.
- **Letter with picture from Court Services and Offender Supervision Agency (CSOSA) or DC Department of Corrections (DC DOC) certifying name and DC residency issued within the last 60 days.
- *DC DMV Proof of Residency Certification form signed within the last 60 days by the certifier residing at the residence and a copy of the certifier's unexpired DC Driver license or DC identification card and two proof of residency documents (one primary and one secondary) in the certifier's name, and proof of relationship document if certifying for a qualified family member. Leases that stipulate authorized tenants cannot be used to certify individuals that are not permitted to reside at the residence.
- Official mail—received from any government agency (with full name and address) to include contents received within the last 60 days, excluding mail from DC DMV. DC DMV does not accept change of address forms from the United States Postal Service.
- **DC DMV-approved form from certified social service provider issued within the last 60 days.
- Car/personal loan statement (no coupon books/vouchers accepted) issued within the last 60 days reflecting name and address.
- Home security system bill issued within the last 60 days reflecting name and address.
- Letter on official letterhead issued by DC Universities and Colleges registrar’s office reflecting the customer’s name and certifying the customer’s on-campus address issued within the last 60 days.
Find more information on the Proof of Current District of Columbia Residency webpage.
Proof of Insurance
The vehicle must have a liability insurance policy through an approved insurance company licensed to conduct business in the titling jurisdiction or an authorized agent. The policy must meet DC insurance requirements.
- Out-of-state insurance policy with dates of coverage as well as vehicle identification number (VIN), make, year of vehicle, and registered address of vehicle
- Out-of-state insurance card with unexpired expiration date as well as VIN, make, year of vehicle, and registered address of vehicle
- Letter of certification on insurance company letterhead, verifying out-of-state dates as well as VIN, make, year of vehicle, and registered address of vehicle
Proof of Out-of-State Driver License
- Unexpired out-of-state driver license
- Unexpired out-of-state learner's permit
Proof of Valid Registration
- Valid vehicle registration card in the name of the reciprocity applicant