DC DMV issues three types of disability parking placards:
- A 1-week placard, available without physician signature. The application for a 1-week placard is available at the link below:
- 1-Week Temporary Disability Parking Permit Application
- A temporary placard, valid for up to 8 years. The application form is available at the link below:
- Application for Disability Parking Placard or Tags
- A long-term placard, valid for 8 years in correspondence with the expiration of your DC DMV driver license or ID. You can use the same application form used for a temporary placard, linked above.
You must have a physician complete the physician certification portion of the form if you are applying for a temporary or long-term disability placard.
Mail the application, completed by your physician if necessary, to:
Disability Placard Services
PO Box 90120,
Washington, DC 20090,
or fax it to (202) 673-9908
or bring it to any DMV service location.
By law, DC DMV will issue one placard and one set of vehicle tags for each applicant who is a DC resident.
There is no charge for a disability placard. If you mailed or faxed in your application, DC DMV will mail the parking placard to you. If you prefer to process your application in person, you may visit any DMV service center location. You may also send someone in your place, provided that person brings a copy of your driver license or identification card and an authorization letter signed by you.
Disabled parking placards must be displayed and readable from the front windshield.