- New personal vehicles that have a manufacturer’s Certificate of Origin do not need to be inspected.
- Personal vehicles that are manufactured pre-1968 do not need to be inspected.
- Zero emission, i.e. diesel or electric, personal vehicles and trailers do not need to be inspected.
- Motorcycles do not need to be inspected
- Any vehicle on which you have spent at least $881 in emission repairs that cannot pass inspection will receive a waiver from emission inspection for 2 years. You will have to show the repair bills as proof.
NOTE: The DC DMV Inspection Station no longer verifies whether the windows in your vehicle are tinted within the tinting thresholds established by DC law. You can obtain a medical waiver for window tinting that will allow you to tint your vehicle’s windows to the degree necessary for you. More information is available at the link below: