You can get a full license with conditions (either a DC DMV REAL ID or a Limited Purpose license) after you have had a provisional license for at least 6 months. To get a full license with conditions:
- You must be at least 17 years old.
- You must have held a valid provisional license for at least 6 months.
- You must not have, for at least 12 consecutive months (including your 6 months driving with a learner permit and 6 months driving with a provisional license), admitted to, been liable for, or been convicted of an offense for which points can be assessed to your driver license.
- You must provide a signed form certifying that you have practiced night driving skills for at least 10 hours, accompanied by a driver who is 21 years old or older and who has a valid full driver license. The form is available at the link below:
- Certification of Eligibility for Full License with Conditions Form
You will have to submit a photocopy of the driver license of your accompanying driver with this form.
Restrictions / Advantages (under 18 only)
- You can drive alone.
- If you are under 18 years old, you can drive with no more than 2 passengers under age 21. This restriction does not apply to passengers who are your siblings.
- If you are under 18 years old, you cannot operate a motor vehicle other than a passenger vehicle or motorized bicycle used solely for the purposes of pleasure and not for compensation.
- You and your passengers must wear seatbelts at all times.
- If you are under 18 years old, your parent or legal guardian is notified of your GRAD violations. GRAD program information is available at the link below:
- GRAD Program
- Driving hours are restricted for full license drivers between the ages of 17 and18 years old. Details on the restrictions are available at the link above to the GRAD program.