If you are under 21 years old, have had a DC DMV learner permit for 6 months, have taken and passed the road skills test, and meet all other eligibility requirements, DC DMV will award you either a REAL ID provisional driver license or a Limited Purpose ID driver license, depending on which you qualify for.
Your REAL ID or Limited Purpose provisional license is valid for 1 year for US citizens; the validity period will vary depending on length of residency for non-US citizens.
In general, a REAL ID credential can be used as a federal ID; the Limited Purpose credential is available to DC residents who do not have a Social Security number, and it cannot be used for official federal purposes.
For more information about REAL ID, please review our REAL ID FAQs, at the link below:
For more information about Limited Purpose credentials, please review our Limited Purpose FAQs, at the link below:
To obtain your DC DMV provisional license:
- Complete the Certification of Eligibility for Provisional License form that certifies that you have had at least 40 hours of driving experience, accompanied by a licensed driver at least 21 years old with a valid full driver license. You will need a photocopy of your supervising driver’s license. The Certificate of Eligibility for Provisional License form is available at the link below:
- Certificate of Eligibility for Provisional License Form
- Schedule your road skills test appointment at the link below:
- Road Skills Test Appointments
- Bring your valid learner permit (either REAL ID or Limited Purpose ID) to your road skills test.
- You must have had this learner permit for at least 6 months.
- You may not have had any violations that result in points awarded to your permit. Information on the DC DMV driver point system is available at the link below:
- DC DMV Driver Point System
- Take and pass a road skills test. More information on the road skills test is available at the link below.
- Road Skills Test
- Complete the Driver License Application form available at the link below:
- Driver License Application Form
- Take and pass a vision screening.
- Take a digital photograph (DC law and policy requires a full frontal digital photo that shows either the ears or up to the hairline without exposing the hair)
- Pay the appropriate fees. Information on DC DMV fees is available at the link below:
- DC DMV Fees
In addition, you must ensure that you do not have any outstanding debt to DC DMV or unpaid fines for moving violations in other jurisdictions.
- Obtain your temporary, paper REAL ID or Limited Purpose provisional driver license.
Your official provisional driver license will be mailed to you; DC DMV does not mail to PO boxes.
Note: Drivers under the age of 21 who are obtaining a REAL ID or Limited Purpose provisional driver license are automatically enrolled in the GRAD Program. Information on the GRAD Program is available at the link below:
Driving hours are restricted for provisional license drivers. Details on the restrictions are available at the link above to the GRAD program.
To convert an out-of-state provisional license to a DC DMV provisional license, see the information at the link below:
To renew a DC DMV provisional license, see the information at the link below:
To replace a DC DMV provisional license, see the information at the link below: