Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.


Department of Motor Vehicles

DC Agency Top Menu

-In recognition of the Memorial Day holiday, all DC DMV locations will be closed on Saturday, May 25 and Monday, May 27. Regular business hours will resume on Tuesday, May 28. Many of DC DMV's services will remain available online or via the agency's free mobile app.


-DC DMV will no longer prevent DC residents from applying for a new or renewed driver license because of failing to meet the requirements of the Clean Hands Law.

-A +A
Bookmark and Share

Motion to Vacate Default Judgment

Motion to Vacate Options

There are two instances that make you eligible to file a Motion to Vacate:

  1. Did not answer within 60 days: A deemed admission to the violation is entered when the vehicle owner or driver does not answer a ticket by either contesting or paying the ticket within 60 calendar days of the date the ticket was issued.
  2. Did not appear for hearing: A default judgment is entered if the ticket was scheduled for a hearing, but the driver did not appear for the hearing and the hearing examiner entered a finding of liability based on the government’s evidence.


  1. Your motion must be filed within 60 calendar days of the deemed admission or default judgment.
  2. You must establish excusable neglect for your failure to answer within 60 days or appear for your scheduled hearing (i.e. hospitalization, death in the family, unexpected travel).
  3. You must also establish a recognized legal defense to the violation if you did not respond within 60 days.

[back to top]

How to File

Submit a motion online

Submit a Motion by Mail

  1. Please read the instructions first.
  2. Complete the form.
  3. Submit a written statement describing your defense(s) using the Motion to Vacate form, including any supporting documents such as photos and receipts.

Mail to: 

DMV Adjudication Services
ATTN: Mail Adjudication 
PO Box 37135 
Washington, DC 20013

Submit A Motion In Person

Visit the Adjudication Service Center during business hours.

What if my Motion to Vacate is Denied?

If your motion to vacate is denied by the hearing examiner, you may file an appeal with the Traffic Adjudication Appeals Board (TAAB) within 30 calendar days of the denial of your motion.

Ticket Alert Service (TAS)

A ticket alert service (TAS) account will give you near real-time notification of ticket-related activity on up to four vehicles and a single driver license.

[back to top]