The inspection station is currently operating on a first-come, first-serve basis. Online appointments are not being accepted at this time.
1001 Half Street, SW
Washington, DC 20024
311 or (202) 737-4404
Fall/winter vehicle inspection hours are effective the first Tuesday of September.
Spring/summer vehicle inspection hours are effective the first Tuesday of June.
Child Car Seat Inspections and Installs (Update)
DC DMV has suspended child car seat inspections and installs during the current public health emergency.
Limited On-Site Parking – No Fee
Services Provided at this Location
|Taxicabs and Limos|
|Child Car Seat Fittings|
|Code Red Days|
Best Time to Visit this Location
The best times to visit the inspection station are Thursday or Friday from 8:30 am to 10 am and 1:30 pm to 3 pm. Customers are advised Tuesday and the days before and after a holiday are especially busy. Other busy hours to avoid are the first hour of opening and during lunch times 10 am to 1 pm.
- DMV does not require safety inspections for private passenger vehicles. All vehicles will still be required to pass federally mandated emissions inspections every two years. Commercial, taxi and limo vehicles will still be subject to both safety and emissions inspections.
- Vehicle inspection fees and late inspection fines are not paid at the Inspection Station, but are paid at the time of vehicle registration.
- Vehicles smoking excessively will not be inspected.
- Please do not bring pets to the inspection station.
- Vehicle mileage at the inspection station is recorded to the nearest thousand by rounding down. This is an industry standard.
- Once an inspection sticker is removed from the windshield, it will display "VOID". Since it is illegal to display a voided sticker, if your windshield is replaced, please proceed to the Inspection Station for an inspection sticker replacement. A fee is required for the sticker replacement. Please note that a new vehicle inspection sticker does not say "VOID."
Please note some Online Services are only available after an initial visit to the DMV. Vehicle registration renewals may only be done online, by mail or using our dropbox service; in-person registration renewals has been eliminated.
Payment Options for this Location
- NO CASH
- Money Order
- Credit / Debit Cards
- American Express
- The inspection fee is not paid at time of inspection, but it is paid at time of vehicle registration. The link below has the inspection fees: