Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.


Department of Motor Vehicles

DC Agency Top Menu

-In recognition of the Juneteenth holiday, all DC DMV locations will be closed on Wednesday, June 19. Regular business hours will resume on Thursday, June 20. Many of DC DMV's services will remain available online or via the agency's free mobile app.


-DC DMV will no longer prevent DC residents from applying for a new or renewed driver license because of failing to meet the requirements of the Clean Hands Law.

-A +A
Bookmark and Share

How to Obtain Vehicle Title and Registration

When registering a vehicle, the Manufacturer Certificate of Origin (MCO) or Title must be properly executed.

  • If there are multiple owners of the vehicle, all owners must be listed on the MCO/Title, Bill of Sale and any lien/lease paperwork.

In order to title and register a vehicle, all outstanding debts owed to the District of Columbia Government must be satisfied.

If a leased vehicle is being titled in the name of an out-of-state based business as a lessor, a copy of the business license where the lessor is domiciled must be submitted along with the registration application and other required documents.

Required Documents

  • Certificate of Title/Temporary Tag Application (complete with appropriate signatures)
  • Manufacturer Certificate of Origin (MCO) or Title
  • Title Reassignment Form (if applicable)
  • Vehicle Power of Attorney Application
  • Odometer Mileage Verification
  • Bill of Sale
  • Lienholder Financial Contract (if applicable)
  • Proof of valid DC Insurance
  • DC DMV Vehicle Inspection Certificate (if applicable)
  • Lease Contract (if applicable) – both lessor and lessee must provide proof of identification
  • Proof of Identification - copy of owner(s) DC driver license or non-driver identification card.
  • If owner is a business, the following documents are required:
  • Copies of the DC Department of Licensing and Consumer Protection (DC DLCP) Business License and
  • DC Deparment of Buildings (DC DOB) Certificate of Occupancy (note: if the DC business is leasing the premises, it must also present copies of the landlord's DC Certificate of Occupancy and the executed lease agreement between the business and its landlord.)
  • Dealer Salesman License for DC dealer only
  • Printout of online excise tax calculation or fee estimator
  • Check or money order made payable to DC Treasurer
  • Title and registration fees

Take Home Vehicles

Please visit this webpage for more information about reciprocity permits for take home vehicles.


For general questions, please contact DC DMV at [email protected].

Contact TTY: