Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.


Department of Motor Vehicles

DC Agency Top Menu

-DC DMV will no longer prevent DC residents from applying for a new or renewed driver license because of failing to meet the requirements of the Clean Hands Law.

-A +A
Bookmark and Share

Contest a Minor Moving Violation Ticket

If you want to contest a ticket, do not pay the fine and/or penalty. You cannot contest a ticket once you have paid the fine and/or penalty nor can you request a refund

Here's more information to understanding the ticket timeline, your options, and what to do first.

Options to contest tickets

What Happens When You Contest a Ticket

  • A DC DMV hearing examiner will read the information you submit to adjudicate the ticket and will decide whether you must pay the fine or the fine and the penalty.
  • The hearing examiner can also decide to reduce or dismiss the ticket based on DC Code and traffic regulations.
  • The hearing examiner will mail the decision to the vehicle owner’s address of record with the DMV notifying the owner of the decision.
  • If you fail to appear for your scheduled hearing, a decision will be rendered in your absence based on the government’s evidence and the hearing record will be mailed to you.
  • You may submit a motion to vacate explaining your absence and providing a defense to violation for consideration by a hearing examiner.
  • To submit your motion to vacate online, please do so here.
  • If the issuing officer also fails to appear, a new hearing date will be set and a notice of scheduled hearing will be mailed to your address of record.

To submit your motion to vacate form [PDF] through mail, please mail to:

DMV Adjudication Services
ATTN: Mail Adjudication
PO Box 37135 
Washington, DC 20013

[back to top]

Contest Tickets by Mail

Mail your statement or the adjudication form [PDF] to: 

Hearing Request Form 
DC DMV Adjudication Services
ATTN: Schedule Hearing 
PO Box 37135 
Washington, DC 20013

To avoid additional penalties, DC DMV must receive your request within 30 calendar days. DC DMV will send you a postcard that indicates we have received your request. If you don’t receive this postcard, you may contact DC DMV or call DC 311 to ask that they confirm our receipt of your adjudication request.

Find more information on the Adjudication Service Center, please visit our website.


Frequently Asked Questions

For questions related to ticket services, please visit the ticket services FAQs webpage.

[back to top]

Contact TTY: