Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.


Department of Motor Vehicles

DC Agency Top Menu

-DC DMV will no longer prevent DC residents from applying for a new or renewed driver license because of failing to meet the requirements of the Clean Hands Law.

-A +A
Bookmark and Share

Name Changes and Corrections

If your name has changed, you must first change or correct your name with the Social Security Administration, which is available at the link below:

To change your name, you will need to visit a DMV Service Center and bring your current DC driver license, learner permit, or non-driver identification card along with one of the following original documents:

  • Certified marriage certificate (name change due to marriage)
  • Divorce decree (name change due to divorce)
  • Official US Court Change of Name document (name change due to legal court order; includes adoption)

To make corrections on your DC DMV REAL ID or Limited Purpose credential, bring the documents that relate to your name change or correction, as referenced above, to a DC DMV service center. You must bring original documents. DC DMV cannot accept photocopies or scanned documents. Information on DC DMV service centers is available at the link below:

Note: If you do not currently have a REAL ID credential (star in the upper right-corner), then you will also have to bring additional original source documents to prove your identity, Social Security number, and District residency. Information on the documents you must provide is available at the links below: