To apply for DC DMV dealership tags, you must first obtain and maintain dealership insurance through the insurance company of your choice.
If you fail to maintain continuous insurance coverage, your dealership will be fined and your DC DMV dealership registration could be suspended or revoked. If your dealership registration is revoked, you must return all dealer tags immediately to DC DMV. Failure to comply with this rule will result in additional fines and, possibly, permanent revocation of your dealership registration.
Fines for lapsed insurance are assessed according to DC Official Code section 31-2413.01 (b) (2):
- A fine of $150.00 will be assessed for a lapse in insurance coverage from 1 to 30 days.
- For any lapse longer than 30 days, an additional fine of $7.00 a day will be assessed, up to a maximum amount of $2,500.00.
- These fines are assessed per issued tag.
When you have proof of dealership insurance, you can apply for dealership tags by contacting DC DMV by email at [email protected]. DC DMV will respond via email to confirm your appointment date, location, and time. Be sure to bring:
- An original DCRA salesman license. It is required for each tag applied for. DC DMV does not accept copies of the salesman license.
- A copy of each state-issued driver license or identification card. It is also required for each tag applied for. Proof of insurance from your insurance company, showing coverage for the number of dealer tags you are requesting. Information on the fees for tags is available at the link below:
- DC DMV Fees
Please email DC DMV at [email protected] if you have any questions.