Requirements to Title and Register Imported Vehicles to the US:
All Imported vehicles must meet federal motor vehicle safety standards before they can be registered in the District.
For DC DMV the following items are needed to register imported vehicles to the US:
- You (or at least one person listed on the vehicle title as an owner) legally reside in the District and have a DC DMV driver or non-driver credential
- Customs documentation (Port of entry papers)
- Form stating the vehicle is certified to the United States EPA federal emissions standards
- Form stating the vehicle is certified to the United States safety standards
- Vehicle ownership/registration document
- Bill of sale/Lien documents (if applicable)
- Proof of DC insurance (must be printed)
Registering Imported Motorcycles and Motorized Bicycles
All motorcycles and motorized bicycles must meet federal motor vehicle safety standards before they can be registered in the District. Detailed information about the requirements to register your motorcycle or motorized bicycle is available at the link below:
Although safety inspections are no longer required for motorcycles and motorized bicycles, you must still provide proof of compliance with the federal safety standards if your motorcycle or motorized bicycle was imported from outside the United States.
Proof may be provided in one of two ways:
- You may present to a DC DMV service center a manufacturer's certification of compliance. This is in addition to the registration application and other documents required to title and register the vehicle.
- If you cannot locate the manufacturer's certification of compliance, then you must bring the imported motorcycle/motorized bicycle to the inspection station to be inspected before it can be titled. An inspector will verify whether the vehicle meets the federal safety standards. Information on the DC DMV Inspection Station is available at the link below:
- Inspection Station
Once an inspector determines the vehicle has complied with the federal safety standards, you may then visit a DC DMV service center to title and register it. Information on DC DMV Service Centers is available at the link below: