If your DC DMV learner permit has been damaged, lost, or stolen, you can get a duplicate one either online or in person at a DC DMV service center.
You may replace your DC DMV REAL ID learner permit (star located in upper right corner) or DC DMV Limited Purpose learner permit online, if you meet the eligibility requirements for online renewals, outlined below:
- Your current name is on file at DC DMV
- Your current address is on file at DC DMV. If you need to change your address, you may do a change of address online transaction. DC DMV will mail your permit to your updated address. Information on changes of address is available at the link below:
- Changes of Address
- You have your permit number, first name, last name, Social Security number, and date of birth.
- You have a valid credit card. DC DMV accepts Visa and MasterCard. DC government does not accept American Express and Discover.
- You haven’t recently changed your name and not updated the information with DC DMV.
You may use the online permit replacement system, available at the link below, and then follow the steps show in the box.
Online Permit Replacement Five-Step Overview
- Enter your permit information.
- Update your organ donor information.
- Pay for the permit replacement using a valid credit card.
- Review payment information.
- Print the receipt page for your records and, the 45-day temporary identification card certificate.
Within 10 business days, DC DMV will mail your permit to your address of record. If you do not receive your identification card timely within the mail, please contact us at 311 or 202-737-4404.
You can replace your DC DMV permit in person at a DC DMV service center.
A list of DC DMV service centers is available at the link below:
You will have to bring documentation that proves your identity. Links to the documents you must bring to the DC DMV service center are available below for both REAL ID and Limited Purpose permits:
REAL ID Documentation
Limited Purpose ID Documentation
DC DMV will NOT be able to accept documents that are not listed at the links above.
You will also have to pay the applicable fees. DC DMV fees are available at the link below:
DC DMV will issue you a temporary, paper DC DMV REAL ID or Limited Purpose permit after you’ve completed the process and paid the fees. This temporary ID will be valid for 45 days; your actual permit will be mailed to you within 10 business days. DC DMV does not mail ID cards to PO boxes.
To check the mailing status of your permit, you can go to the system at the link below: