You must be a resident of the District of Columbia, and at least 15 years of age; you may not hold a valid driver license or identification card in the District, or another state or jurisdiction, in order to get a REAL ID non-driver ID card. A REAL ID non-driver ID card is valid for 8 years for US citizens. If you are not a US citizen, your REAL ID non-driver ID card will expire at the end of your approved duration of stay. The REAL ID non-driver ID card can be renewed. Minors under the age of 18 will be required to submit the Parental Consent Form.
In general, the steps to getting a DC DMV REAL ID non-driver identification card are:
Use DC DMV's online Document Verification Guide to determine what documents you need to successfully obtain a non-driver identification card at the link below:
The first step in obtaining a REAL ID non-driver identification card is to print and fill out the driver license/identification card application form. Effective June 26, 2018, if eligible, when you complete the application, you will automatically be opted in to register to vote unless you select to decline. You can find the application form at the link below:
Next, bring your completed application form to a DC DMV service center. A list of service centers is available at the link below:
You must also bring the documents that prove you are eligible for a non-driver identification card. The documents required are listed below, and DC DMV will not accept any documents that are not listed.
You will need:
- Proof of identity and age. You must be at least 15 years old. The list of documents that DC DMV accepts as proof of identify is available at the link below:
- Proof of Identity—Name and Date of Birth
- Two documents that prove you reside in the District. The list of documents that prove DC residency is available at the link below:
- Proof of Current District of Columbia Residency
- Proof of your Social Security number. Information on the Social Security number is available at the link below:
- REAL ID Proof of Social Security Number
- Proof of parental approval, if you are under age 18. The parental consent form is available at the link below:
- Parental Consent Form to Obtain a Learner Permit or Identification Card
You will have a photograph taken at the service center when your documents are approved. District law and policy requires a full frontal digital photo that will show either the ears, or up to the hairline without showing the hair.
Once your photo has been taken, you will pay the appropriate fee for your license. Information on DC DMV driver license and identification card fees is available at the link below:
DC DMV will issue you a temporary, paper DC DMV REAL ID identification card after you’ve completed the process and paid the fees. This temporary ID will be valid for 45 days; your actual card will be mailed to you within 10 business days. DC DMV does not mail ID cards to PO boxes.
To check the mailing status of your license or card, you can go to the system at the link below:
NOTE: If you have an out-of-state driver license, and you apply for a DC identification card (instead of converting your out-of-state driver license to a District driver license), then this will result in the cancellation of your out-of-state driver license. Once your out-of-state driver license is cancelled, you will be required to retake the knowledge and road test to obtain a DC driver license.