If you currently have a DC DMV non-driver identification that is up for renewal, you will renew it as either a REAL ID or a Limited Purpose identification card. You do not have to update your current card to either REAL ID or Limited Purpose until it is ready to expire.
DC DMV will send you notice that your non-driver identification card is going to expire 60 calendar days before it does expire. If you have given us your email address or opted in for text notifications, we will send that expiration notice by email or text; if not, we will mail it to you. Currently, you cannot update your address when you renew your identification card.
You can renew your DC DMV non-driver ID card either online, by mail, or in person at a DC DMV service center, as described below.
If you currently have a DC DMV REAL ID non-driver identification card (star located in upper right corner) or a DC DMV Limited Purpose non-driver identification card, you may renew it online, if you meet the eligibility requirements for online renewals, outlined below:
- You have a REAL ID or Limited Purpose identification card that expires within the next 60 days
- Your current name is on file at DC DMV
- Your current address is on file at DC DMV. If you need to change your address, you may use the change of address transaction. DC DMV will mail your identification card to your updated address. Information on changing your address is available at the link below:
- Change of Address
- You have your identification card number, first name, last name, Social security number, and date of birth.
- You have a valid credit card.
- You haven’t recently changed your name and not updated the information with DC DMV.
- You did not previously renew your identification card online (NOTE: Even if you made an in-person visit to replace your identification card, if you previously renewed it online, you still must make an in-person visit to renew it again.)
You may use the online identification card renewal system. DC DMV complies with federal regulations regarding the use of credit cards, so to utilize the online services and pay with a credit card, use browsers with minimum version requirements, such as:
- Google Chrome
- Mozilla Firefox
- Microsoft Edge
- Apple Safari
You may renew your non-driver identification card at the link below.
Online Identification Card Renewal Five-Step Overview
- Enter your identification card information.
- Update your organ donor information.
- Pay for the online identification card renewal using a valid credit card.
- Review payment information.
- Print the receipt page for your records and, if necessary, the 45-day temporary identification card certificate.
Within 10 business days, DC DMV will mail your identification card to your address of record. If you do not receive your identification card timely within the mail, please contact us at 311 or 202-737-4404.
If you currently have a DC DMV REAL ID non-driver ID card (with a star printed in the upper right corner) or a Limited Purpose non-driver ID card you may renew your identification card by mail. If you are eligible to renew by mail, you will receive a renewal notice 60 calendar days in advance of the expiration of your credential that tells you that you may renew by mail. The notice will have instructions and information on the mail-in renewal process.
If you do NOT currently have a REAL ID or Limited Purpose non-driver identification card, and your current non-driver ID card is up for renewal, you will have to visit a DC DMV service center to upgrade your non-driver card to either a REAL ID or a Limited Purpose identification card. You may visit any service center.
You may also visit any service center to renew a REAL ID or Limited Purpose non-driver identification card. A list of DC DMV service centers is available at the link below:
You will be eligible for either a REAL ID or a Limited Purpose non-driver identification card, depending on whether or not you have a valid Social Security number. Answers to frequently asked questions about both REAL ID and Limited Purpose credentials are available at the links below:
You will have to bring documentation that proves your identity, your District residency, and your Social Security status, depending on which type of credential you will get. Links to the documents you must bring to the DC DMV Service Center are available below for both REAL IDs and Limited Purpose IDs:
REAL ID Documentation
- REAL ID Proof of Identity
- REAL ID Proof of Social Security Number
- Proof of DC Residency (2 documents required)
Limited Purpose ID Documentation
- Limited Purpose Proof of Identity
- Social Security Number Declaration
- Proof of Current DC Residency (2 required)
- Proof of six-month DC Residency (2 required)
DC DMV will NOT be able to accept documents that are not listed at the links above.
You will also have to pay the applicable fees. DC DMV fees are available at the link below:
DC DMV will issue you a temporary, paper DC DMV REAL ID or Limited Purpose non-driver identification card after you have completed the process and paid the fees. This temporary ID will be valid for 45 days; your actual card will be mailed to you within 10 business days. DC DMV does not mail ID cards to PO boxes.
To check the mailing status of your license or card, you can go to the system at the link below: