Once your registration sticker is removed from the vehicle windshield, it will display “VOID.” It is illegal to display a voided registration sticker, so if your windshield is replaced, do not try to use the old sticker on the new windshield.
You may obtain a replacement vehicle registration card/sticker either online or in person. Please note that DC DMV complies with federal regulations regarding the use of credit cards, so to utilize the online services and pay with a credit card, use browsers with minimum version requirements, such as:
- Google Chrome
- Mozilla Firefox
- Microsoft Edge
- Apple Safari
If you are requesting a change of name, you must bring the required documents, in person, to a DC DMV service center.
Online Registration Card/Sticker Replacement
You may request a duplicate vehicle registration card/sticker online if you have:
- A vehicle registration that expires in more than 10 calendar days. If your vehicle registration expires within 10 calendar days, DC DMV requires that you renew your vehicle registration rather than request a duplicate registration card/sticker.
- Your current name and address are on file at DC DMV. DC DMV will mail your duplicate vehicle registration card/sticker to your current address on file at DC DMV.
- A valid credit card. DC DMV accepts Visa, MasterCard, Discover and American Express.
And you have not:
- Recently changed your address or name without updating this information with DC DMV.
If you cannot satisfy all of the eligibility requirements above, you must request a duplicate vehicle registration card/sticker in person at a DC DMV service location. Information on DC DMV service centers is available at the link below:
Online Duplicate Vehicle Registration Request 5-Step Overview
Go to the online duplicate registration request system available at the link below and follow the steps outlined here:
- Enter your registered vehicle information (tag number, last four digits of VIN, your email address)
- Review your vehicle registration information and update your insurance information.
- Pay for the online duplicate vehicle registration card/sticker request using a valid credit card.
- Review all the information you have entered.
- Print the confirmation page for your records.
Note: Online duplicates requests are limited to one per year.
Within 10 business days, DC DMV will mail your duplicate vehicle registration card/sticker, which includes your residential parking permit, if you are eligible and have requested it.