- Rebuilt Salvage: A salvage vehicle that passes DC DMV emissions, safety, and anti-theft inspections will be titled/branded as “Rebuilt Salvage.”
- Out-of-State Salvage: Out-of-state titles branded as “Salvage” that pass DC DMV emissions, safety, and anti-theft inspections will be titled in DC maintaining the previous state’s title brand (i.e., MD Salvage, VA Salvage, CA Salvage, etc.).
- DC Salvage: Titles branded as Salvage per the vehicle’s owner/lessor request (normally due to an insurance settlement).
- Non-Repairable: Vehicle that is non-repairable will be titled/branded as Non-Repairable.
- All salvage vehicles must pass safety inspection and a Metropolitan Police Department’s (MPD’s) DC anti-theft inspection PRIOR to DC DMV registration. All Paperwork for Salvage Anti-Theft Inspection may only be submitted at 95 M St SW, Department of Motor Vehicles.
DMVMPD’s anti-theft inspection form is available at the link below:
- Salvage Vehicle MPD Anti-Theft Inspection Form
- Note: The Metropolitan Police Department will not accept the Anti-Theft Inspection form in person. All paperwork must be presented at 95 M St SW, Department of Motor Vehicle for processing.
- Insurance companies that make a damage settlement for a salvage/non-repairable vehicle and do not keep the vehicle must notify the vehicle’s owner/lessor of his or her obligation to apply to DC DMV for a salvage/non-repairable title within 30 calendar days of settlement. No MPD Anti-Theft needed.
- Insurance companies that make a damage settlement for a salvage/non-repairable vehicle and keep the vehicle must apply to DC DMV for a salvage/non-repairable title within 30 calendar days of settlement.
- The owner must apply within 30 calendar days of a vehicle’s being damaged and before the vehicle is repaired.
- The lessor must apply for a salvage/non-repairable title within 30 calendar days of being notified of the vehicle’s damaged status.
- A lessee of a salvage or non-repairable vehicle shall notify the lessor within 30 calendar days of the date the damaged occurred and shall not repair the vehicle prior to the issuance of salvage title to the lessor.
An example of a salvage title is available at the link below: