Online driver license renewals are not available to District residents who do not currently have a REAL ID or Limited Purpose credential.
You may renew your driver license online if you can satisfy all of the online eligibility requirements below. You may also change your address during this transaction. If you can't satisfy all these online requirements, or if you're renewing a commercial driver license or a provisional driver license, please visit a DMV service location to renew your license.
If you have:
- A REAL ID or Limited Purpose driver license that has not been expired for more than 365 days
- Your current name on file with DC DMV
- Your current address on file at DC DMV. If you need to change your address, you may do so during this online driver license renewal transaction. DC DMV will mail your driver license to your current address on file with DC DMV.
- Your driver license number and the control number from your renewal notice (If you don't have the control number from your renewal notice, provide your first name, last name, Social Security number, and date of birth.)
- A valid credit card. DC DMV accepts Visa or MasterCard. DC government does not accept American Express or Discover credit cards.
If your DC driver license has been expired for more than 545 days, you'll need to visit a DMV service location and pass a knowledge test and a road test (the road test must be scheduled in advance).
Although you can renew your driver license online if it has been expired for fewer than 365 days, please be aware that it is illegal to drive with an expired driver license. However, you will be able to use your online paper driver license for 45 days from the date of your online renewal transaction until you receive your new driver license in the mail. Note, you must keep your current driver license, in addition to the temporary driver license certificate.
- Reached the age of 70 or older
- Cleared your driver license suspension or revoked status
- Experienced any episodes of fainting or seizures within the last 5 years, or received treatment for episodes of fainting or seizures during the preceding 12 months
- Experienced any change in your medical condition such as vision changes or diagnosis with insulin-dependent diabetes, Alzheimer’s disease, glaucoma, cataracts, eye disease, or any other mental or physical condition that would impair your ability to drive
- Recently changed your name and not updated the information with DC DMV
- Renewed your driver license online in your last renewal period
Online Drivers License Renewal Six-Step Overview
- Enter your driver license renewal information.
- Complete medical questionnaire.
- Update your organ donor information.
- Pay for the online driver license renewal using a valid credit card.
- Review payment information.
- Print the receipt page for your records and, if necessary, the 45-day temporary, paper driver license.
NOTE: Within 10 business days, DC DMV will mail your driver license to your address of record.
Some links to other information that may be helpful regarding renewals are available below: