DC DMV provides road skills testing for automobile and commercial drivers. The road skills test examines your ability to safely operate a motor vehicle, proper use of turn signals, parallel parking, and several other skills. If you are age 16 to 20, you must take the road skills test to qualify for a provisional license. For customers requiring language translation services during the road test, the in-vehicle language line service is available.
Learn more on how to parallel park using these five simple steps. These steps can be applied anywhere you take your parallel parking test.
Road Skills Test
You can test with DC DMV personnel at the Deanwood Road Test Office or with a third party. An appointment is required to take the road skills test with DC DMV, and walk-ins are not accepted. Each road skills test requires a fee. Find more information on DC DMV Fees.
To make an appointment for a DC DMV road skills test, you can use the online system available at the link below:
- Online Road Test Appointment Scheduler (unavailable every Monday from 9 pm to midnight for system maintenance. We apologize for the inconvenience.)
You can also call the District’s Citywide Call Center at 311 or (202) 737-4404 to schedule a road skills test.
You will have to provide the following information:
- Your learner permit number
- Your first name, last name, date of birth, and social security number
- The date on which you would like to schedule a road test
To use the online scheduling system:
- Enter the driver license or learner permit number that appears on your learner permit and your personal information.
- Select an appointment date and time.
- Review the selected appointment date, time, and location.
- Print the confirmation page for your records.
On the day of your appointment, you must:
- Arrive at least 15 minutes before your appointment
- Arrive in a vehicle that fulfills the vehicle requirements below
- Bring your valid learner permit
- Be accompanied by a licensed driver 21 years or older
- Bring a car that has valid registration and proof of insurance
- Wear your seat belt
- Bring your 40-hour Certification of Eligibility for Provisional License form, if you are under 21 years of age
Note: If you have a learner permit and drive yourself to your road skills test appointment without being accompanied by a licensed driver, you will not be allowed to take your test for 6 months.
The vehicle used to take the test must:
- Have a current registration card with a valid window registration sticker (if applicable) or current sticker displaying a valid expiration date affixed to the plates (if applicable).
- Have a motor vehicle liability insurance card or the policy, which must identify the vehicle and include the expiration date.
- Display a valid inspection sticker, if applicable. Vehicles displaying failed inspection stickers are not acceptable for the road test.
- Display front and rear license plates (if applicable), properly affixed to the bumper.
- Have properly functioning brake lights, turn signal lights, horn, windows that roll up and down, operable doors with inside and outside door handles, inside rearview mirror, and outside side (left/right) view mirrors properly placed, and a hand or push button emergency brake located between the driver and front passenger seats.
- Have a windshield with no cracks or debris, providing an unobstructed field of vision and nothing hanging from the rearview mirror.
- Have tires that are in good condition and properly inflated. Spare (donut) tires are not acceptable.
- Have no service or warning lights illuminated on dashboard, including low gas.
Rental vehicles are allowed for road tests only if the person taking the test is listed on the rental contract as an approved driver of the rental vehicle.
DC DMV does offer the option to take the road skills test in a DMV road test vehicle. If you are taking your road test directly with the DC DMV, once you arrive for your road test, you will have the option to use your own vehicle or utilize a DMV road test vehicle. Road tests scheduled with a third party are not eligible for a DMV road test vehicle.
There is no additional fee to use the DMV road test vehicle.
Customers electing to use a DMV road test vehicle will be required to complete the “Consent, Waiver and Indemnity” form prior to the road test.
- For customers under 18 years of age, the parent or legal guardian must fill out the Consent, Waiver and Indemnity for Use of District Motor Vehicle – Minor (Under Age 18) form and provide a copy of their Identification Card or Driver License.
- For customers 18 years of age and older, the Consent, Waiver and Indemnity for Use of District Motor Vehicle will be required.
If you fail…
If you fail the road skills test, you must wait 72 hours before you are eligible to take it again. If you fail the road skills test 6 times within a 12-month period, you will not be allowed to take the 7th test until 12 months after you fail the 1st test.
If you would like to cancel or reschedule a road test, please call the District’s Citywide Call Center at 311 or (202) 737-4404 at least 48 hours prior to your scheduled road test. Failure to cancel a scheduled road test within 48 hours will result in a cancellation fee. This fee will be collected the next time you complete a license-related transaction.
Your road test may be cancelled by DC DMV for one or more of the reasons listed below.
- The examiner believes he or she would have trouble reaching the emergency hand brake or otherwise stopping the test vehicle in an emergency.
- There is inclement weather or other circumstances beyond DC DMV's control that make the road test dangerous.
- You, or your vehicle, have not met all of the road test requirements.
If your road test is cancelled, call the District’s Citywide Call Center at 311 or (202) 737-4404 or reschedule online.
Note: Find more information on the commercial driver license road skills test.