Online driver license renewals are not available to District residents who do not currently have a REAL ID (i.e., a black star in the upper right corner) or Limited Purpose credential.
You may renew your driver license online if you can satisfy all of the online eligibility requirements below. Unfortunately, at this time, you cannot change your address during this transaction. If you can't satisfy all these online requirements, or if you're renewing a commercial driver license or a provisional driver license, please visit a DMV service location to renew your license.
If you have:
- A REAL ID or Limited Purpose driver license that has not been expired for more than 365 days
- Your current name on file with DC DMV
- Your current address on file at DC DMV. If you need to change your address, you cannot do so during this online driver license renewal transaction. DC DMV will mail your driver license to your current address on file with DC DMV.
- Your driver license number and the control number from your renewal notice (If you don't have the control number from your renewal notice, provide your first name, last name, Social Security number, and date of birth.)
- A valid credit card.
If your DC driver license has been expired for more than 545 days, you'll need to visit a DMV service location and pass a knowledge test and a road test (the road test must be scheduled in advance).
Although you can renew your driver license online if it has been expired for fewer than 365 days, please be aware that it is illegal to drive with an expired driver license. However, you will be able to use your online paper driver license for 45 days from the date of your online renewal transaction until you receive your new driver license in the mail. Note, you must keep your current driver license, in addition to the temporary driver license certificate.
- Reached the age of 70 or older (which requires an in-person visit with a medical certification on your driver license application)
- Cleared your driver license suspension or revoked status
- Experienced any episodes of fainting or seizures within the last 5 years, or received treatment for episodes of fainting or seizures during the preceding 12 months
- Experienced any change in your medical condition such as vision changes or diagnosis with insulin-dependent diabetes, Alzheimer’s disease, glaucoma, cataracts, eye disease, or any other mental or physical condition that would impair your ability to drive
- Recently changed your name and not updated the information with DC DMV
- Renewed your driver license online in your last renewal period (NOTE: If you obtained an in-person replacement license, such that you now have a REAL ID credential, since your last online renewal period, you still must make an in-person visit to renew your license.)
Online Drivers License Renewal Seven-Step Overview
- Take short driver assessment quiz (NOTE: There is NO personal information/data provided to the third party vendor which administers this assessment quiz.)
- Enter your driver license renewal information.
- Complete medical questionnaire.
- Update your organ donor information.
- Pay for the online driver license renewal using a valid credit card.
- Review payment information.
- Print the receipt page for your records and, if necessary, the 45-day temporary, paper driver license.
NOTE: Within 15 business days, DC DMV will mail your driver license to your address of record.
Some links to other information that may be helpful regarding renewals are available below: