Department of Motor Vehicles

DC Agency Top Menu

April 19, 2021 DC DMV Service Update: All Service Centers, Adjudication, and Deanwood CDL remain by appointment only.
Effective June 1, 2021, RPP fees will increase.

-A +A
Bookmark and Share

Convert a CDL from Another State

If you have a CDL from another state or jurisdiction, you must convert it to a DC DMV CDL if you remain in the District for more than 30 days.

To convert your out-of-state CDL, you must meet the requirements and follow the steps listed below. You must visit the Deanwood Commercial Driver License Center to convert your CDL in person. Information on the Deanwood Center is available at the link below:


  • You must be a resident of the District.
  • You must be a US citizen or non-US Citizen with a valid Permanent Resident Card.  

NOTE:  If you do not have proof of lawful permanent residency, but you are legally in the US under a program approved by the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), then in accordance with federal law, DC DMV will issue you a CDL that is marked as non-domiciled.  You must provide proof of your USCIS status.


  • Complete the CDL Driver License Application available at the link below:
  • CDL Driver License Application
  • Provide the required original documents, listed above. DC DMV cannot accept photocopies or scanned documents.
  • Take and pass the vision test.
  • Take a photograph (DC law and policy requires a full frontal digital photo that shows either your ears or up to your hairline without exposing the hair).
  • Pay the appropriate fees. Information on DC DMV fees is available at the link below:
  • DC DMV Fees
  • Surrender your out of state CDL to DC DMV

When you complete the steps, you will receive a 45-day temporary paper CDL, and your permanent license will be mailed to your address of record.

Contact TTY: