A DC DMV CDL is valid for 8 years and can be renewed 6 months prior to the expiration date. To renew your DC DMV CDL you must visit the Deanwood Commercial Driver License Center. If your CDL has been expired for more than 60 calendar days, you must take and pass BOTH the knowledge and the road skills tests.
Remember, you may not operate a CMV if your CDL is expired.
If you do not already have a DC DMV CDL, you will also need to provide proof of identity, proof of Social Security number, and two proofs of residency. Information on these proofs is available at the links below:
- CDL Proof of Identity
- REAL ID Proof of Social Security Number
- Proof of Current District of Columbia Residency
You must be a US citizen or non-US citizen with a valid Permanent Resident Card to renew your DC DMV CDL. If you do not have proof of lawful permanent residency, but you are legally in the US under a program approved by the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), then in accordance with federal law, we will issue a CDL that is marked as non-domiciled. You must provide proof of your USCIS legal status.
You must present the following original documents and pay applicable fees to renew your driver license in person.
- CDL Driver License Application, available at the link below:
- CDL Driver License Application
- CDL Supplemental Form, available at the link below:
- CDL Supplemental Form
- Completed US Department of Transportation Medical Examination Report and Medical Examiner’s Certificate Card. Download and have a physician complete these documents, which are available at the links below:
- Medical Examination Report
- Medical Examiner’s Certificate Card
- The list of certified medical examiners including physicians, nurse practitioners, physician assistants, and chiropractors, is available on the US Department of Transportation National Registry of Certified Medical Examiners’ website at the link below:
- National Registry of Certified Medical Examiners
- Current DC DMV CDL
- Proof of US citizenship or lawful permanent residency
- Change of name or change of address documentation, if applicable. Information on the forms necessary is available at the links below:
- Name Changes and Corrections
- Change of Address
Information on DC DMV fees is available at the link below:
Information on the Deanwood Center is available at the link below: